The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories = 空屋與其他靈異故事點閱：16
出版社：Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation 甦活全球網路
出版地：Salt Lake City, UT. 臺北市
'Certain houses, like certain persons, manage somehow to proclaim at once their character for evil. In the case of the latter, no particular feature need betray them; they may boast an open countenance and an ingenuous smile; and yet a little of their company leaves the unalterable conviction that there is something radically amiss with their being: that they are evil. Willy nilly, they seem to communicate an atmosphere of secret and wicked thoughts which makes those in their immediate neighbourhood shrink from them as from a thing diseased.
And, perhaps, with houses the same principle is operative, and it is the aroma of evil deeds committed under a particular roof, long after the actual doers have passed away, that makes the gooseflesh come and the hair rise. Something of the original passion of the evil-doer, and of the horror felt by his victim, enters the heart of the innocent watcher, and he becomes suddenly conscious of tingling nerves, creeping skin, and a chilling of the blood. He is terror-stricken without apparent cause.'
- The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
- Part 1 THE EMPTY HOUSE
- Certain houses, like certain persons, manage somehow to proclaim at once their character for evil.
- Part 2 A HAUNTED ISLAND
- The following events
- Part 3 A CASE OF EAVESDROPPING
- Jim Shorthouse was the sort of fellow
- Part 4 KEEPING HIS PROMISE
- It was eleven o'clock at night
- Part 5 WITH INTENT TO STEAL
- To sleep in a lonely barn
- Part 6 THE WOOD OF THE DEAD
- One summer
- Part 7 SMITH: AN EPISODE IN A LODGING-HOUSE
- "When I was a medical student,"
- Part 8 A SUSPICIOUS GIFT
- Blake had been in very low water for months
- Part 9 THE STRANGE ADVENTURES OF A PRIVATE SECRETARY IN NEW YORK
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Part 10 SKELETON LAKE: AN EPISODE IN CAMP
- The utter loneliness of our moose-camp